Are you looking for a mold removal specialist? If you are, you probably already know that you have mold. But let’s say that you were just relaxing on a Sunday afternoon, and thought that you’d hit up your favorite home improvement blogs (aw, thanks for counting us in your favs! You’re totally one of our favorite readers too!). So let’s say in this scenario you aren’t specifically looking for a mold removal specialist. The concept of mold removal has never crossed your mind. But hey, just because you don’t realize that you have a mold problem doesn’t mean it isn’t there. And mold in your home is a big deal. Like a really big deal.
Mold can cause a myriad of illnesses that you don’t want, such as asthma, allergies, headaches, dizziness, confusion, and even death. This is why it is very important to know the signs of mold, and when to call in a mold removal expert:
Four Signs That You Might Have Mold in Your Home
- You might have mold in your home if you can see mold in your home.
This might sound obvious but stick with us. Yes, you know that if you have a giant black patch that covers most of your bathroom wall, you likely have a mold problem. However, many times, serious issues aren’t all that obvious. You might see a small black patch of mold in between your grout. It’s easy to assume that it’s just soap scum or dirt. Sometimes, you might even know that what you’re seeing is mold, but it seems like such a negligible amount that it’s not worth stressing out over.
Mold is a living organism and even the smallest amount can grow into a big problem. You only need one mold spore to grow into two, and then two to grow into four, and so on, until you have a whole house full of mold. If you see a discoloration on your floor or walls (especially if there is water present or you recently had a water leak repair), you should call in a pro right away to keep your family healthy.
- You might have mold in your home if you smell an unexplained odor.
Sometimes, your mold festers between the walls of your home, in the ceiling, behind the tile or wall paper, or under the carpet. When this happens, it’s not visible to the eye, but you’re still breathing it in and it can still be harmful to your health.
If you start to notice a musty, you-left-wet-socks-in-your-locker-too-long kind of smell in your home, there’s a good chance that you have mold growing somewhere. This is a sign that you should call in a pro.
- You might have mold in your home if you have interior water damage.
Mold, like all living things, need water to survive. This means that if you have a water leak in your home for any length of time, mold almost always goes hand-in-hand with it. Many times, mold associated with home water damage can go undetected until it’s a huge problem. It’s probably lurking under your kitchen sink or inside your walls, where it isn’t seen if you don’t know the signs.
To catch interior mold before you need serious mold cleanup, it’s important to know how to recognize the signs that you have a water leak:
- Discoloration of your walls or ceiling, like you spilled a glass of water right there.
- Bubbling or sagging in the walls, floors, or ceiling, as water builds up on the other side.
- An unexplained wet area on the floor.
- You might have a mold problem if your home has flooded in the past.
If your home has ever flooded, the water might be gone, but the mold could persist. Even if the flooding occurred years before you ever lived there, you want to double check with a mold specialist to make sure you and your family are not at risk of mold exposure. Signs of past flooding include warped floors or walls, or discoloration or the floor or walls.