Four Signs That It May Be Time For You To Have New Gutter Installed
From the roof to the basement to the chimney to the windows, each part of a house plays a role. Gutters are no different and help control the flow of rain to protect the rest of the house.
With such an important role, it is important that gutters are cleaned regularly. Clogged gutters are the top cause of basement water problems and it’s recommended that guttering cleaning should be done twice a year.
Cleaning a gutter yourself can take several hours and several steps can be taken to improve the functionality of your gutter system.
- Make sure to remove leaves from your gutter to avoid clogs. If there are low-hanging branch near or over your gutter, consider removing them.
- If you’re doing gutter installation, consider installing a gutter screen, which are intended to trap rocks, leaves and other solid matter and direct water into the gutter.
- Keep an eye on the slope of the gutter. It should flow downward and any water should flow without impediments.
- Free-flowing water is important for a gutter system as each gallon of rain water weighs eight pound, potentially adding thousands of pounds of weight to your system.
- Take a look at adding downspouts to increase the gutter’s capacity. One downspout is needed for every 30-40 linear feet of water.
- Also consider getting better slope by adjusting hangers if necessary.
Hired gutter cleaning services are often able to finish the job faster, finishing in about 45 minutes for a smaller house. As an example, a 2,500 square foot, two-story home with 200 linear feet of gutters will cost between $100-$250 to clean. Bigger homes can cost more and some gutter cleaning services can do extra procedures to make sure your gutters are functioning at an optimal level.
Professional gutter cleaning services can save you time and keep you away from potential health hazards such as mold, which can grow in clogged gutters. Above all, gutter cleaning services can get gutters clean the right way and save you time to focus on other tasks.
While gutter cleaning is essential for many reasons, there may be times when you need new gutters to replace your old ones. If you’re wondering how to tell if you need new gutter installation, here are some telltale signs:
- Peeling paint: Steel gutters are often coated with paint to help protect from moisture and rust. If paint is peeling, that’s a sign your gutters might be rusting and are damaged from moisture.
- Water Damage: You may need new gutter installation if you can see signs of water damage beneath or around your gutters. That water damage can take different forms much as puddles, mildew, peeling paint or water stains.
- Sagging: New gutter installation may also be needed if you notice your existing gutters are sagging or pull away from your house. Gutters tend to sag when they’re full of water or two heavy. Bottom line, if they’re sagging, they’re likely not functioning properly.
- Cracking: Small or large cracks in your gutters can indicate potentially big problems. Small cracks can always become larger and splits could cause some big problems such as extensive water damage.
Gutter cleaning is an essential job in the upkeep of a house and should be done at least twice a year. To get gutters working their best, take care to remove leaves, check the slope of the gutter and consider adding downspouts to allow for free-flowing water.
Whether you have new gutters installed or need your existing ones cleaned or repaired, professional gutter cleaning and gutter repair services can do the job right and eliminate a lot of hassle in the process. Having clean gutters will help prolong the life of your roof too as clean gutters will eliminate the possibility of roof damage or costly roof repairs from wood rot, weather damage (65% of people noted in a survey this was their main motivation for roof repair) and water leaks due to clogged gutters.